Quotes from Passion 2013
January 11, 2013 1 Comment
This is the final post in the Passion 2013 series.
Last week I had the blessing to take a group of college and career students from Harvard Avenue Baptist Church to the 2013 Passion Conference. The four-day conference, held in the Georgia Dome, featured speakers like Beth Moore, Louie Giglio, Francis Chan, and John Piper in addition to worship led by Chris Tomlin, Kristian Standfill, Charlie Hall, Christy Nockles, Matt Redman, Jesus Culture, and David Crowder (plus a short concert by Lecrae). This year’s conference was attended by 60,000 18-25 year olds from all 50 states and 50 different countries. In addition, over $3 million was donated to end modern day slavery (CNN story) as a part of the End It Movement.
Passion wasn’t about the names or the numbers though, it was about uniting as believers to glorify the name of Jesus Christ through worship with music and preaching.
Here are some of the notable quotes from the week. I’d encourage you to read the notes from each speaker to get the quotes in context.
John Piper (see full message notes)
- “Jesus is the key that unlocks the mystery of history. Once unlocked, it is clear He’s the center of the story.”
- “The universe exists to display the glory of God in the white hot worship of angels and believers for eternity. The immensity of His worth is reflected in the intensity of our worship.”
- “Our worship is the subjective echo of God’s objective worth.”
- “God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him.”
- “Embrace suffering in the cause of love on the path to liberation. If you walk in the path of love, compassion, and righteousness, you will suffer.”
- “Jesus’ infinite, holy, sinless heart was steadied and satisfied by the joy of what he was about to receive.”
- “Freedom from from self-focused fear frees you to embrace suffering for others in the cause of love.”
- “I pray there would be an awakening, an affection rising up in souls to enjoy Jesus and magnify and admire him.”
Francis Chan (see full message notes)
- “If you really want to experience God, go and make disciples.”
- “Jesus promises not to turn away from those he has redeemed.”
- “Just as you did not come to Christ on your own, you will not remain in Christ on your own.”
- “We trust His promises of blessing, yet we don’t trust His promises of wrath. Why is that?”
- “God wants to do immeasurably more in & through your life than you could ask.”
- “We are responsible for our captivity to sin. In our foolishness, we forget God. However, God intervenes!”
- “Jesus transforms lives and then sends them out to spread the glory of his name.”
- “When God moves, we get to learn what the Lord already knew.”
- “God is always bringing us to a point where we can stand firm in our faith in him.”
- “There is no disconnect between God bringing us to life and sending us on mission.”
- “Every Christian became a missionary the moment God breathed his Spirit into him or her.”
Beth Moore (see full message notes)
- “We have not outsinned God’s ability to forgive us.”
- “If you live for others approval, you will die by their rejection.”
- “God does not give His people a ministry for which He does not give them the power to do it.”
Gregg Matte (see full notes from the leaders’ group)
- “Humility is being self-forgetful.”
- “Humble Christians realize that everything is done for the glory of God’s name and not their own.”
- “Only secure people can truly love. Insecure people always want something in exchange for their love.”
- “Deep strength comes from the deepest resource: God’s glorious reaches in Jesus through the Holy Spirit.”
- “Personal spiritual growth results in ministerial overflow.”
- “God has made you an original; don’t die a copy.”
I pray that these quotes will challenge and encourage you and those you share them with.
Learn It. Love It. Live It.